Sunday, July 29, 2012

Vocabulary: 3 words from a read-aloud


In chapter 6 in our text a specific activity is described in how to teach 3 specific new words from a read-aloud.  I thought this was a very easy to understand way to teach new vocabulary by connecting the learning to a specific book. Students can first experience the word in the context of the book. Then the activity is extended to activities to get the students to begin to look for those words in other contexts and the ultimate goal is to get the students using the word in their speaking and writing. I appreciated the description of how to pick which words to teach as "Goldilocks" words or words that were just right. Vocabulary words are described in three tiers in this chapter as well as the Lane and Allen article in which tier 2 words should be selected because they are words students do not likely know but will need to know. Tier 2 words can usually be linked to concepts that are already familiar to students. Tier 1 words are words most students already know and Tier 3 word are usually more obscure and technical.


5 comments:

  1. I really liked this idea as well. I did a similar thing when I was doing my real life reading inquiry. I think it would really help children pick out words that they could learn and relate to a story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! It's so boring to learn new words when they aren't connected to anything and you just have to memorize them. Using books that kids love to attach to new words is a way to build associations so that they really stick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't read chapter 6 from the book but it sounds like it presented great ideas! I like the idea of taking familiar text from books to help children learn vocabulary. I also think it's important to expose children to a wide variety of vocabulary and books can do this. The three tier concept that Lane and Allen presented helps narrow down the view of vocab words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the concept of the 3 tier model is really helpful when deciding what words are going to be beneficial to your students. The critical words, those in tier two, are most important because they are words that the children will need to know be fluent readers, writers, and speakers. It's a big help to know that there is some guidance as to what words to teach students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not read the book, but I like how they said to chose words that are "Goldilocks" words. I also like how the book and the Lane & Allen (2010) articles complemented each other with the 3 Tiers of vocabulary words.

    ReplyDelete