Friday, August 3, 2012

Assessment



I read Chapters  10 and 11 in Classrooms that Work. Assessment is such a terrible sounding word with many negative associations. The statement in Chapter 10 "assessment is not grading" probably sums up how I am beginning to understand reading assessment. After Thursday's class talking about what we will actual do in the classroom it became even more apparent that assessment is a critical prerequisite for just about everything.  An important point I picked up on in the readings is that assessment has to be intentional but it does not have to be formal. Anecdotal data taken constantly will be a primary means that I use in my classroom to make instructional decisions. Student conferences and small group instruction are going to be very important to collect reading assessment information.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the idea that, "Assessment is not grading." Going though the program here at UT has taught me that is one of the essential way to get to know your children and to meet them in their learning.

    ReplyDelete